Sunday, December 19, 2010

Down Time


I’ve been spending the last few days pondering if I want to man up, load the boat, and head out and battle the cold weather in the hunt for a few green fish. Here in the south, we don’t see ice so thick you can drive a full size truck over it. We see some teen and above temps, but pretty much you can dump your boat at any accessible ramp anytime, considering you can bare the elements. Around this time I take a look at all my inventory, rods, reels, tackle and so on and develop a plan to restock, clean and organize everything I have, gearing up for next spring, well really February when the johnboat trail begins. I like to make these things a regular thing, therefore it will become second nature and it really helps your equipment in the long run. I keep a pretty good selection of line, keep it out of intense heat/cold and it’ll last for quite some time. I also strip my reels of the old line, take them about halfway down, clean them thoroughly and oil and re grease where needed. I am a Quantum PT guy for the most part, so a dab of Quantum Hot Sauce on specific places will keep me firing smooth casts all year long. I will also clean my rods with a cleaner wax on the blank, wipe the cork with lacquer thinner to clean the “black” we all put on the handles from use and check the guides for burrs and blemishes with a Q-tip. These are just a few minor tips you can all do to protect your investment, and make it last.  From there I’ll go through my tackle, every aspect and add to what I’m low on, replace new hooks and add what I think I’m going to try the next year that I may not have in my boxes. 

This is also a good time to get your game plan together, whether planning vacation days to fish a club tournament or just to plan to take the family or friends out. This time for me is where I enter my learning curve to deal with sponsors. I’ve landed a great deal with Sasquatch Soft Plastics and I cannot wait to try out some of their new products in the coming year. I am also excited to meet and talk some with some great companies and people over time and perhaps put together a plan to catch some quality fish and cash a few checks as well. That is the most important part, you have to know how to fish, sounds cliché, but you have to be able to figure them out on any given day and circumstance. Simply, putting your head down and fishing is what you have to do…period! These are some key things to make your fishing trip better, make your year run smoother, the will to prepare, cover your bases and be ready. Now is the time, set your goals, go after them, but for now, enjoy the cold and have a little down time! 

By: 
Cale Milam

No comments:

Post a Comment