Monday, February 7, 2011

Head Games

 Tournament fisherman have a lot to think about. I recently heard someone compare a golfer to a fisherman. The golfer can often get bogged down if he thinks about each little thing he needs to do to get the swing right. A fisherman can also get bogged down if he thinks too much about all the different choices that he could make for each circumstance.
Some of the issues that can come into play are water temperature, time of year, time of day, time of season, water clarity, air temperature, line type, line weight, pole type, pole flexibility, lure color, lure type, the list can go on and on...
One of the important things to do is to try to simplify you choices. Wouldn't it be quite a bit easier if there were only a few lure choices? If there were only a few colors to choose from? I try to keep only a few colors of each bait. A light color, a dark color, and a special color for each lure choice is really all that is necessary. Believe me, I understand with all the choices in colors available it makes it very difficult not to buy everything available, but one of the things I think really helps this situation is to try to keep things simple.
If you only have three color choices, in three depths of crankbaits, then you only have 9 choices of crankbaits. If you are fishing stained water, I try to use use a dark color crankbait, or a real bright color, like chartreuse. I try not to get caught up in buying every color of a lure. I try not to get every type of bait under the sun.
When I look at each tournament lake, I make a plan based on that particular lake, the time of year, and where I would expect to find the bass on the day of the tournament. When tournament day is here, I try to stick to the plan, unless some condition has changed that would change my game plan.
Sometimes people or things make us change our plans, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. One long time competitor says something like,"I think plastics is going to win today."
Talk about head games. Does that mean I should fish plastics? Or is it reverse psychology, meaning not to fish plastics? I try not to listen to dock talk, but it still makes it difficult to not affect the decisions made, one way or the other.
On tournament day, simplify your choices, do not listen to dock talk. Focus on the weather, time of year, and color of water, Fish what you know best. Tight lines. Fish with fury.

BY: Joe Minor
Inside Bass Fishing
Pro Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment